Maybe you’re thinking: I want to search La MaMa’s new digital collections site, but I don’t know where to begin. Or maybe you’re a history buff dying for some clues to the fascinating secrets of downtown New York’s past. Or maybe you just like a good challenge. Whatever your needs, we got you covered – with our new Digital Collections Treasure Hunt! And its a pretty rewarding challenge: there are hundreds of amazing, little-known stories buried in La MaMa’s archives.
So far, no one–even La MaMa’s most knowledgeable insiders–have been able to answer all of these questions without turning at least once to a keyword search in our Digital Collections.
Email rachel [at] lamama [dot] org for the answer key.
1. How many times did La MaMa move between 1961 and 1969?
- Once a year
- 4 times
2. Which playwright dedicated a 1969 La MaMa production of his work to the Stonewall Rebellion?
3. Which member of the Black Panthers staged several plays at La MaMa in the 1970s?
4. Why did the American Indian Theatre Company change its name to the Native American Theatre Ensemble? (Hint: the answer is in a program for a 1973 La MaMa production)
5. Who performed alongside “The Mell-o White Boys” at La MaMa in 1984?
6. What was the first La MaMa show to feature Nicky Paraiso (Programming Director/Curator for the Club and La MaMa Moves!) as a performer?
7. Which of the following was not one of the plays that the Great Jones Rep performed?
- “The Iliad”
- “As You Like It”
8. Name two Japanese theater makers whose work appeared on La MaMa’s stages before 1985.
9. Which actor from La MaMa’s 1969 production of Adrienne Kennedy’s a “Rats Mass” (directed by Seth Allen) went on win a Tony Award?